Since 1945, Le Corbusier began working with Joseph Savina, a Breton cabinetmaker, to create sculptures. The collaboration between the two men obeys a well-regulated mechanism. Le Corbusier imagined the sculptures, most often from his paintings and drawings. He conceived the shapes and sent his sketches to Joseph Savina so that he could put them into volume.
Le Corbusier wished « a sculpture that is not modeled but assembled », the sculptures are made by Savina from a single block of wood or result from the assembly of several elements. Only the realization of the polychromy is made by Le Corbusier.
From their faithful collaboration, forty-four sculptures made from drawings or paintings were born. A true four-handed work, these sculptures borrow the vocabulary of ancient arts and we find what Le Corbusier called « the great basic colors, the « eternal » colors ».
In addition to the production with Joseph Savina, Le Corbusier will respond as early as 1952 to orders from glassmakers in Murano. The sculptures will be made of cast and cut glass and not blown.